The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc. (ASLMS) was founded in 1980 and is the world’s largest professional organization dedicated to promoting research, education and high standards of clinical care in the field of medical laser and energy-based applications. ASLMS provides a forum for the exchange of scientific information and participates in communicating the latest developments in laser and energy-based medicine and surgery to clinicians, research investigators, government and regulatory agencies, and the public.
The ASLMS promotes excellence in patient care by advancing biomedical application of lasers and other related technologies worldwide.
The vision of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery is to be the world's preeminent resource for biomedical laser and other energy-based technologies research, education and clinical knowledge.
- Excellence - the "sine qua non" of our existence
- Integrity - we advocate and emulate high ethical conduct in all we do
- Multidisciplinary - we advocate inclusion and embrace all specialties with whom we work and share knowledge
- Leadership - we lead through example and recognize caring must be a cornerstone of our professional and patient interactions
- Professionalism - we strive to set professional standards in all we do
Who belongs to ASLMS?
Membership includes physicians and surgeons representing more than 51 medical specialties, nurses and other allied health care professionals, physicists who develop devices, biomedical engineers who adapt them for medical purposes, biologists who investigate the interaction of laser light and energy with tissue, and equipment manufacturers. The Society currently has more than 4,200 members, 20% of which are located outside the United States.
ASLMS works to develop programs to address the common interests of all whose work involves biomedical lasers and related devices, as well as to foster interdisciplinary dialogue, development, and fellowship among them.
What does ASLMS do?
We support our mission and vision by:
- Conducting the Annual Conference which allows for the multidisciplinary exchange of information on the latest discoveries, applications and research involving medical lasers and energy based sources.
- Providing Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, the Society's official journal, the most prestigious and widely circulated peer reviewed scientific journal dedicated to basic and applied aspects of laser and energy-based device therapy and diagnosis.
- Supporting research projects designed to foster the development and use of lasers and other related technologies in medical and surgical applications. $1.6 million in research grants has been awarded to date.
- Establishing practice guidelines and safety standards for physician and non-physician use of lasers and related energy-based technologies.
- Providing in-service education and testifying before regulatory authorities including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Sponsoring professional networking opportunities to clinicians and suppliers.
- Supporting regional, national and international meetings of laser and energy-based health care professionals.
- Disseminating public information about laser and energy-based device use that enhances patient care through the consumer section of the aslms.org website, which features a physician referral service, New Beginnings: Radiation Mark Removal Program, and other information about lasers and energy-based devices and the specialties and treatments that use them.
- Offering students, residents, fellows and PhD candidates free membership for the duration of their training, and waiving the Annual Conference registration fee for them as well.