What is ASLMS?
The American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Inc. (ASLMS) was founded in 1980 and is the world’s largest professional organization dedicated to promoting excellence in patient care by advancing laser applications and other energy based technologies.
Who belongs to ASLMS?
Membership includes physicians and surgeons representing multiple medical specialties, nurses and allied health care professionals, scientists involved with product development, biomedical engineers, biologists, industry leaders and equipment manufacturers.
ASLMS offers students, residents, fellows and PhD candidates free membership for the duration of their training, plus reduced annual conference and course fees.
How many members does ASLMS have?
The Society currently has more than 3,000 members, 20% of which are located outside the United States.
What does ASLMS do?
The vision of ASLMS is to be the world’s preeminent resource for laser research, education, technology and clinical knowledge. The mission of ASLMS is to promote excellence in patient care by advancing biomedical application of lasers and other related technologies worldwide. ASLMS works toward this ambitious mission by:
- Conducting an annual conference for the multidisciplinary exchange of information on the latest discoveries, applications and research involving medical lasers and light energy sources
- Publishing the world’s foremost laser journal, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine
- Raising more than $1 million in the past five years for applied medical laser and related light energy technology research projects and grants
- Establishing practice guidelines and safety standards for physician and non-physician use of lasers and related light-based technologies
- Providing in-service education and testifying before regulatory authorities, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Sponsoring professional networking opportunities to clinicians and suppliers
- Supporting regional, national and international meetings of laser health care professionals
- Disseminating public information about laser use that enhances patient care, including a website (www.aslms.org) that features a physician locator service, New Beginnings: Radiation Mark Removal Program, and other information about lasers in health care.
What is the ASLMS Annual Conference?
- The annual conference offers the opportunity for all disciplines to come together to learn, share, investigate, and create ideas to advance biomedical application of lasers and energy-based devices.
- One of the primary strengths of the Society is the diversity of membership. The ASLMS Annual Conference is one of the very few conferences driven by a common technology rather than a common specialty. Experts in one field can learn about exciting developments occurring in other fields and integrate them into their own research or clinical practice.
- Hundreds of clinical studies are presented each year to highlight the latest advances and newest devices on the market.
- The conference offers students, residents and fellows the opportunity to meet and learn from the industry leaders and pioneers, as well as the chance to present their research at a world renowned conference. ASLMS offers students, residents and fellows free membership for the course of their training, plus reduced conference and course fees.
What are some key topics presented at the conference?
Hot Topics include:
- The latest in laser therapy for skin conditions and scarring, as well as photoaging
- RF needling devices, picosecond lasers, non-surgical body contouring and skin resurfacing
- Innovative skin treatments by photodynamic therapy (PDT)
- Photobiomodulation as a promising therapy for reducing pain and inflammation, wound healing, and tissue regeneration.
- Advances in pediatric laser medicine, safety and efficacy of laser and energy-based devices in children’s health
- Topic areas also include dental applications, veterinary medicine, optical diagnostics, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and women’s health.
- An emphasis on safety guidelines for lasers and other energy-based devices, as well as maximizing patient satisfaction.
What do ASLMS members receive?
- Multidisciplinary Body of Knowledge
- Discounts on Conference and Course Fees
- Free Subscription to Lasers in Surgery and Medicine (LSM) journal
- Access to many free courses, webinars, videos and podcasts on the Online Learning Center
- Preceptorship Program
- Mentorship Program
- Physician Locator Service
- Access to Research Grants
- Worldwide Professional Network
- Career Center