ASLMS Mentorship Program
New in 2020, the ASLMS Mentorship Program (AMP) is designed to connect residents and early career members with more senior members of our society to work on a specific project over a one-year period and build relationships. The projects may be chosen from a list of board directed initiatives or created by the mentee, and should benefit the ASLMS membership in some way.
The AMP program will be virtual and can adapt based on the mentor and mentee’s schedules. Because this is a project-based program, you will work with your mentor to clearly define the project’s goals and objectives.
Best of all, AMP is available to all ASLMS members that play a role in lasers and energy-based devices. All positions and specialties are welcome to participate.
Step 1: Complete an application
Step 2: Identify a project from either the suggested list or create one of your own
Step 3: Ask ASLMS to find a mentor or identify one you've already selected
Step 4: Submit a completed application
(let the magic happen!)
Step 5: Complete your project!
ASLMS members who are early in their careers, new to the practice of lasers, lights, and energy based devices, or students (resident, fellow, post-doctorate) will have the opportunity to work with an established ASLMS member to complete a project either recommended by ASLMS or of personal interest. Projects are limited to those relative to ASLMS’ mission and vision.
Student and non-student applicants are welcomed to participate but membership is required. If you are not an ASLMS member, you may apply for membership by visiting Membership | Join. Special student rates are available.
Applications for mentorships are being accepted. Mentor and mentee will work together to determine project completion dates. Projects should be completed within one year of the start date. No funding is available for this program.
- Choose a project from the list provided by ASLMS or submit a project of your choice. You may ask ASLMS to assign a mentor or you may coordinate a mentor in advance. Participation is subject to the availability of mentors.
- It is the responsibility of each mentor and mentee to coordinate the duration of the project.
To apply use the printable application. Work with your mentor to complete application and obtain necessary signatures.
The following documents must be attached:
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Essay (1,000 words or less) outlining career goals, educational goals and how the mentorship program will impact the applicant’s future or current practice of using lasers and other related technologies in medical and surgical applications.
- Signed and dated Mentee Release Form and Mentor Release Form
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com
The ASLMS Awards Committee is responsible for the final decision on approving applications for a mentorship.
Mentee applicants will be accepted based upon the merit of:
- Career and educational goals.
- How the project will impact future or current practice of using lasers and other related technologies in medical and surgical applications.
Post-Project Mentee Requirements
Upon completion of mentorship project, mentees must submit to ASLMS:
- Project results submitted in coordination with the mentor.
- Information-based projects will reside on the ASLMS website and will be accessible by members and potentially non-members. By submitting this project, you are giving ASLMS permission to update information provided in order to keep it accurate and current with the industry.
- Research-based projects will submit an abstract and will follow all abstract submission instructions and requirements. Research should be submitted as an abstract within two Annual Conferences to ensure project is completed in a timely fashion. While funding is not available through the ALSMS Mentorship Program, refer to the educational grant information within the Annual Conference abstract section to consider applying for funds if needed.
- Timesheet and evaluation (using the forms provided by ASLMS).
- A brief report (1,000 words or less) outlining the experience. Reports are to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mentee reports may be shared in member newsletter, on the website, and in other marketing materials.
High resolution (300 dpi or greater) color photograph/headshot in .png, .pdf., .eps, .tiff or .jpg format.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns.